Old 17-09-2003, 01:02 AM
GIJane

Default privacy nightmare!

What do you all think of a mounding earth first and then putting the fence?
This would give her the privacy within a year rather than waiting for the
trees to grow in? Of course, drainage would have to be considered in the
design.

"gregpresley" wrote in message
Well, you do have the option of hedges, plants, vines, or trees that drop
their leaves, because I"m assuming that in ontario you will only be using
your pool in summer. That does broaden your possibilities. If you are set

on
an evergreen hedge, some people have used blue spruces as a hedging

plant -
they grow right to the ground and will grow into one another - maybe space
them 7 -10 feet apart - you might only need 3 or 4. However, they are slow
growing, so you'd probably need to spring for some big bucks to get more
mature specimens.
I like the idea one of the posters said, of building a little pergola,
trellis, or summer house between the deck next door and your pool area.

Done
well, this would also provide a lovely sitting area for you after your
swims......with lots of lovely vines coming through and around - grapes,
wisteria, silver lace vine, climbing hydrangea - you name it.
"walms" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I'm in a suburb in southern Ontario. We decided to buy a house that

backs
onto conservation to get a little more privacy than the standard lot

would
offer. Everything was great until our next door neigbour decides to

install
a patio door and 2nd floor deck off the back of their house with a full

view
of our back yard!!! (which wouldn't be so bad if they had a better past

time
than watching us swim).
As the old saying goes, tall fences make for good neighbours... I'm

looking
for a 15' fence! unfortunately the local bylaw will only allow for 6'.

Any good suggestions? It seems to be popular to go white cedar, but I'm

not
totally impressed with the look. I have to cover about a 30' length.

I've done a couple of searches and came up with a few names:

Hungarian lilac
Spartan juniper
English laurel
Red elder