Old 17-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Gene Schurg

Default new thread potting mixtures

Peter,

Until a year ago I grew under lights but now I have a greenhouse.

I was lucky to have have a bark mix last a year. At about 6 months I would
have a hard gunk (technical term) form at the bottom of the pot. This was
the small particles and fibers that would congeal and roots would not
penetrate. Any roots in this gunk would rot. Soon the plant was growing in
the top inch of the mix.

That was my experience. Other people grow wonderful plants in the bark mix.

Good Growing,
Gene

"Boystrup Pb, ann,..." wrote in message
. be...
Gene when you talk about cocohusk mix, where do you grow your plants. In a
greenhouse or a dryer invironment like a house. (livingroom)
I use bark and often pine bark because it is easy and cheap for me to come
by. In my conditions (house) I have found that this bark mix I use, lasts
2-3 years. For me that's a good time, giving my plants a few years to grow
undesturbed yet every so many years I get a good look at the root

structure,
which in my opinion is perhaps the most important part of the plant.
Cheers
Peter

"Gene Schurg" schreef in bericht
link.net...
Keith,

You need to get something that is more specialized to growing orchids

than
general gardening publication.

The reason you don't want pine bark is that it breaks down too fast.

When you repot your plants you don't want to disturb them in a few

months
later and do it again when the medium breaks down. Personally, I don't

use
bark anymore except for a few specialized plants that like it on the wet
side.

I have switched to a cocohusk mixture with alifor (clay marbles). I

find
this medium allows air to the roots which is essential because plants

breath
through the roots. The coconut husk also does not compact in the pot
allowing the roots to penetrate the medium. Best of all the Cocohusk

mix
lasts 2 to 3 times longer than bark mixes.

Good Growing,
Gene