Old 17-09-2003, 04:12 AM
David J Bockman

Default Compacted Soil Advise

By core aerating and then adding appropriate organic material, you will
increase the aeration far below the depth of the removed plugs of soil.

Dave

"Kyle Boatright" wrote in message
. ..
I've got zoysia grass over clay soil. Probably 10-12,000 square feet of
yard. The house is 15 years old, and there are large areas of the yard
where the soil is extremely compacted to well below the depth a normal
aerator will reach.

Are there aerators that have longer tines/deeper penetration than the ones

usually see? I figure I need to loosen the soil at least 6" deep.

How about worms? Is there anything I could do increase the number of
earthworms in the soil so they could help soften the soil over the long
term?

Advise appreciated.

KB