Old 17-09-2003, 07:02 AM
J. Lane

Default %&*&^#@?? deer

We have had such a dry summer that my city has banned putting out garbage
until the morning of p/u day. All garbage that may stink can be stored in
the freezer until said day. Fines are levied for infractions of the law! The
reason being that the bears have so little to eat ( berries dried up on the
bushes or habitats burned out due to immense forest fires) that they are
coming into the city limits to pilfer garbage. When they become habituated
to eating garbage and lose fear of humans, they are extermely dangerous and
have to be killed.What a shame!
--
Jayel,
Baji-Naji
"Pat Meadows" wrote in message
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:34:21 -0500, Phaedrine Stonebridge
wrote:

Black bears are reported in Eastern Missouri for the first time in
like a century so it will be interesting to see what happens.

We have black bears around here, lots of them.

Two summers ago one broke our neighbor's bird feeder. I
heard loud cracking noises at 4 am, and the next morning the
1" thick metal pipe supporting the bird feeder had been bent
down to the ground, in a U-shape. Nothing but a bear could
possibly have done it.

Last summer, a woman who lives about 1/2 mile from us left
her garage door open (mistake!) while she quickly ran to the
store one afternoon. When she returned, there was a black
bear in her garage. We *never* leave our garage door open!

Pat