Old 17-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Peter Goddard

Default Raspberry problem.

,snip Thanks Steve, I wasn't too sure. I'll do that then. At least I'm
pretty
sure it can't hurt them.

snip. Large sweet ones, with little real raspberry taste, which turn an
orange if left
just a little too long.

Sorry to join the thread so late:
I inherited a clump of raspberries on a plot of overgrown land. I cut them
back hard and after two years the new canes were reaching more than six feet
and producing a heavy crop. (Lots of Pavlovas, home-made ice cream and a
freezer full to boot)
BUT.... at the same time I planted a double row of Glen Magna. There is no
comparison at all when it comes to flavour or yield - the Magna are
magnificent, the older raspberries bland and disappointing. I gather that
after ten years or so this can happen and the canes should be replaced.
I am currently waiting for autumn when I will dig up the older canes for my
neighbour to plant - they produce plenty of fruit but I'm going to spoil
myself with some Glen Ample and Autumn Bliss to extend the season with
better flavoured varieties.