Old 17-09-2003, 09:42 AM
Charlie Pridham

Default Trimming hedge - mathematical question.

"anne" wrote in message
If I trim 4 foot from the height of a hedge will this give me 4 foot more
light on my allotment?

The problem is, that during the day the sun travels the length of a hedge
that runs all the way up the side of the allotment and the hedge puts 50%

of
the allotments's entire length in the shade. This is now - september. How
much will it decrease in winter and how much will it increase in summer?

My main question though, is does the amount you cut off equal the amount

of
sunlight you gain.

Hope you can help, I think I've made a mistake with my choice of allotment
:-(

4' is bound to help a lot, more in winter than summer, the sun is 46 degrees
lower at noon in mid winter as compared to mid summer. most of the uk is in
the low 50's latitude

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk