Old 17-09-2003, 11:29 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default pressure treated timber and raised beds

In article . 6,
Victoria Clare writes:
| Christopher Norton wrote in
| :
|
| The new treatments are still water borne but have other formulations of
| chemicals. The one we have access to at work is a green one (the green
| is just a dye) which is still a copper based treatment with a new
| generation of biocides which protects against fungi and termite. This is
| called A.C.Q and is from a company called C.S.I who have been developing
| the stuff for 2 decades.
|
| Any idea if this is likely to be lethal to small animals if they actually
| eat some of the treated wood? I could really do with something that is
| not just a coating, due to the 'scraping' problem mentioned above ( if I
| use a thicker coating of something, they take great joy in peeling it off,
| bit by bit...)

Dunno. It is unlikely that the copper would be - it really isn't
that toxic, and you need some in your diet anyway - but I don't have
a clue about the rest.

| If it was hens or cats or something I would not worry, but rabbits will try
| munching on anything! But if the treatment is specific to fungi and
| insects, maybe they would not be affected?

Unlikely. There are few effective fungicides that are not pretty
nasty to mammals, though sometimes only in obscure ways.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.