Old 17-09-2003, 02:22 PM
redclay

Default Clay soil

JStubbs358 wrote in message
Where I live (S. Central Tx) I have really black soil but its got a lot of
clay.In my flower beds I have worked in lots and lots of compost and sand

and
mulch but what else can I put in it to make it looser? It is much better

than
my yard but I have heard sand, I have heard gypsum and I have heard

sulfur. The
soil is definetly not acid. What should I put in?
I haven't been online for a while but it was nice to see CHris Owens,
Madgardner,Gardengal and others names I have recognized forever. Is like

coming
back to friends.
TIA
Judy zone 8B

Add limestone to it. Do not use burnt lime use plain old limestone, CaCO3.
Keep the pH between just above 7 while you continue to add mulch such as
grass clippings and such.