Old 17-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Sharon

Default Various yard questions

"CNB" wrote in message
Sharon,

I suspect that the reason your being overrun by bugs is because your yard

is
the perfect habitat for them. I don't know about the other things you
mentioned, but as for mosquitoes, they love shady, still yards with lots

of
vegetation around. Its not where they're hatching from but its where they
love to live as soon as they hatch. I can bet there's some pooled up water

Yes, that describes my yards perfectly. I plan to not only have a tree
doctor trim up the trees, but also to get landscapers in to clean up the
lawn and shrubbery (*twang*). The only problem is it can't happen too fast
for me. hah! I'm going to have to get them in for quotes and then do one
whilst I save for the other. Trees first, though; and what you're telling
me reinforces that decision, thanks!
After I clean up the trees and bushes, if there are still swarms of
biting things, I'll invest in one of those traps another poster mentioned.
Oh, another possibility... there are two medium-sized pear trees in the
back yard (along with the other BIG trees) that are in full-fruit and
dropping pears frequently. I wonder if the biting bugs are living or
breeding on the rotting fallen pears. I'm kind of thinking of having the
tree doc yank out those pear trees. I don't have the energy to care for
them properly or to clean up after them.

I don't think hiring a pest control guy would do you much good, at least

not
in the long term. Unless you get rid of the habitat there going to keep
coming back. You might want to get one to come by once just to see what

his
assessment is. Remember that a certain number of bugs in your yard is
normal. Also, certain species of bugs will come and go depending on the
season.

Good point. I'm ok with bugs as long as they don't carry disease and
stay out of the house. Last night when I mowed the front yard, there were
crickets scrambling everywhere. Hoards and swarms of them. Ugh. But they
seem harmless, so I don't mind them.

Even though the vines may look pretty they're harboring mosquitoes and

other
insects and are eventually going to kill the tree. Do as the other poster
suggested and cut out a section of it near the base of the tree and
everything from that point up will eventually die. Getting the dead vines
off are another problem altogether, you may need to hire someone to do

that
job.

I don't think the vines are particularly pretty. Some previous owner of
the house obviously thought so, though. Actually I'm surprised I don't have
as many slugs and snails as I thought I would have because of the stupid
stuff. I'll probably have the tree guys take care of the ivy for me while
they're trimming the tree. I'd rather pay them to dig it out and rip it off
the tree, than do it myself.

One word of caution - make sure the vines are not poison ivy. That could

be
disastrous.

Nope, this is standard landscaping ivy that people often plant against
trees and houses. Nasty stuff, in my opinion. Good only for the
occasional houseplant.

--
Sharon, Lurking As Usual
To reply, replace spammersmustdie with jcwoman1963