Old 17-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Chris Owens

Default Clay soil

JStubbs358 wrote:

Where I live (S. Central Tx) I have really black soil but its got a lot of
clay.In my flower beds I have worked in lots and lots of compost and sand and
mulch but what else can I put in it to make it looser? It is much better than
my yard but I have heard sand, I have heard gypsum and I have heard sulfur. The
soil is definetly not acid. What should I put in?

I haven't been online for a while but it was nice to see CHris Owens,
Madgardner,Gardengal and others names I have recognized forever. Is like coming
back to friends.

TIA
Judy zone 8B

Thanks, Judy! What you need is compost, more compost, and
then some more compost. It took me six years, but I turned my
Maryland red clay garden beds into soil you could dig for 12" by
hand by tilling in compost and shredded paper twice a year. I'm
still working on the NYS clay and rock -- we're in the bed of an
old glacier -- seven years later; but, then, I went from 1/8 of
an acre to two; so, I hope I'll be forgiven for being a bit
dilatory. ;

Chris Owens