Old 17-09-2003, 04:02 PM
Chris Owens

Default Compacted Soil Advise

Kyle Boatright wrote:

I've got zoX-Mozilla-Status: 0009oil. Probably 10-12,000 square feet of
yard. The house is 15 years old, and there are large areas of the yard
where the soil is extremely compacted to well below the depth a normal
aerator will reach.

Are there aerators that have longer tines/deeper penetration than the ones I
usually see? I figure I need to loosen the soil at least 6" deep.

How about worms? Is there anything I could do increase the number of
earthworms in the soil so they could help soften the soil over the long
term?

Advise appreciated.

KB

There's two ways to do this; which one you pick depends on the
effort you're willing to put in, and how much time / money you
have.

1. Add at least 6" of compost, and till up the lawn. [You can
do this in sections over a number of years for a lessening of the
total task in any given year.] Reseed, and mist daily until you
have new growth well-established. Then, go to regular lawn care.

2. Add a 1-2" top dressing of compost spring and fall. Overseed
bare patches. In the due course of time, X-Mozilla-Status: 0009e
more loamy than clay.

If you provide more organic matter, earthworms will be likely to
migrate to your yard naturally.

Chris Owens