Old 17-09-2003, 09:47 PM
JNJ

Default Clay soil

Where I live (S. Central Tx) I have really black soil but its got a lot of
clay.In my flower beds I have worked in lots and lots of compost and sand

and
mulch but what else can I put in it to make it looser? It is much better

than
my yard but I have heard sand, I have heard gypsum and I have heard

sulfur. The
soil is definetly not acid. What should I put in?

Judy -- Just keep adding compost and organic materials. For areas where
there are existing plantings (including lawn) you can add compost by
spreading it out thinly -- especially good for lawns as it will not choke it
out. For beds that's fine as well as things such as leaves, grass
clippings, and so forth. Worm droppings are a good addition (as well as the
worms that make 'em!) and you can always compost in a pile (believe it or
not, we do not have much on our compost pile here -- we tend to work it in
directly with plantings and/or filling out new planting areas).

To help get new plantings under way, just increase the size of your planting
hole and replace the more clay soil with a better balanced and amended soil.
For example, if you're planting a tree and need a 1.5 foot diameter hole,
dig it to 3 feet in diameter and add more of the good stuff.

Most folks looking to make their soil more favorable through natural means
will tell you -- it takes a while to get that rich soil the gardener adores.
In most cases, 5 or more years to REALLY get it there. I've been working on
different areas on my property, little at a time, and I've still got a LONG
way to go but there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Hope this helps!

James