Old 17-09-2003, 10:16 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Climbers for my arch (part 2)

In article ,
Pam Moore wrote:
On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 12:24:39 +0100, "Pam Morris"
wrote:

To recap: chalk soil; the sides of the arch face east & west; garden is
approx 45-50 ft wide. The east facing side is about 6 feet from a 7ft tall
hedge (which is going to be lowered after flowering in the spring). The
west facing side gets sun for most of the day.

Pam, from Pam!
Which part of the country are you in?

Quite a major matter.

In the warm south or sheltered area you could try trachelospermum
jasminoides but it is not guaranteed hardy, better against a wall.
Quite expensive but has glossy leaves and scented flowers in summer.
How about the "potato vine", mauve or white? (solanum crispum) I got
one in my local supermarket for £1.99 last week.

Ditto not guaranteed hardy, though I have planted one again this
year, assuming that the current mild winters will continue. Watch
out for the white one being S. jasminoides - that is seriously tender.

Clematis cirrhosa balearica is evergreen, winter flowering and also
scented.

I can't grow it, and suspect that it may not like dry soil.

Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.

And again not totally hardy, especially in the open, but fine in
most of the country.

No way would trop spec do on an arch. I have seen it at its best
scrambling through other bushes on acid soils.

It might in north west Scotland :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.