Old 17-09-2003, 11:43 PM
Ch. Rajinder Nijjhar Jatt

Default Sweet Potato

Hi,

Many thanks for your replies and feed back. Good advice.

Thank you all.

Rajinder

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"Marge" wrote in message after...
"Nick wrote in message after Rajinder wrote...

I planted some sprouting sweet potatoes and some have produced

leaves.
There are about ten plants and would like advise how to protect them

during
the winter.

I have done that with one, and shall be trying to overwinter it

indoors.

Have either of you actually got a crop of sweet potatoes? Thompson &

Morgan
sell slips that I fancy giving a try. But, I don't have any garden

space
so
I wondered if sweet potatoes could be grown in those potato barrels, or
exhibitors growing sacks (whatever they are)?

I planted a row of those last year on our allotment, unfortunately they
arrived a month or so too late from Marshalls but by the end of the summer
they had made tiny but unusable tubers which were riddled with slugs. I
reckon another couple of months of warm weather would be needed for a good
crop.
The plants themselves were rather nice, shiny dark green leaves low

growing
and spreading, and would not look out of place in a conservatory so
planting some in pots now and growing them overwinter to be put outside in

very sunny spot come next June might be the way to go to get the length of
season needed. Worth a try.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.