Old 18-09-2003, 01:42 AM
Tyra Trevellyn

Default splitting shasta daisies

From: "Jessica"
Date: Wed, Sep 17, 2003 8:08 PM
So here it is fall and I have been transplanting plants here and there.
have a nice clump of Shasta daisies that I would like to divide and plant
elsewhere. Can this be done? Or more importantly, is it very successful?
Thanks for any information!

-Jessi

Jessi....
Shastas are VERY successfully divided and transplanted....in fact, they're
perhaps the Poster Plants to Divide Successfully. (Naw, I'm not trying to jinx
you.) I have no idea where you are, of course, but division can probably be
done now.....BUT Shastas form new plants from their roots and if you wait until
spring, you'll have even more plants to move around where you wish.....and I
think you've got an even better chance at success. I find many more plants in
spring than I put to bed in autumn, and I always do well transplanting them as
soon as they show new growth (or whenever I get to it in spring or early
summer). They grow so quickly and will surely bloom the first summer, that
there's no real reason to put them at winter risk (as minimal as that may be).

Unless you want to divide and move the entire clump, you need only loosen the
plants that have formed on the outer edges and gently dig them out and replant.
Older parts can begin to die out but you'll always have new plants coming on.

Don't forget to dig in some compost and balanced granular fertilizer when
planting. Keep the plants well watered until they're established, and somewhat
moist thereafter.

Best,
Tyra
nNJ usa z7a