Old 18-09-2003, 01:42 AM
dkat

Default Water Exchange Question

I tend to agree with the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" posting....
Having said so I will now say that when I add water to my pond I use a spray
attachment on the hose that puts as fine of spray up as high in the air as
possible. This has worked for me on even large water additions (when I had
a leak I could not find) but I don't know how my water compares to yours. I
do know that before I knew better I almost killed off my fish adding too
much water too quickly. It was here that I got the suggestion of adding
water very slowly and with a lot of airing (either drip method or spray).
DKat

"Loretta,Victoria, B.C." wrote in message
The other day I pumped out about 4 - 6 inches of water from my pond and

then
refilled it. I did the same thing the next day. I wanted to get some

fresh
water in my pond and figured that was a better way than just overflowing

the
pond, which is what I did in the past. What I want to know is: how many
days can I keep doing this without harming my fish? I would like to keep
doing it until all the water has been exchanged without having to remove
fish from the pond and removing water all at once. Earlier in the season

did some vacuuming in the pond and the bottom is fairly clean. But the
water has been in the pond for 4 years with only fresh water being added
when I overflowed the pond. Fish are fine and healthy and acting normal.
The fish load is such that I think a total change of all the water would

be
a good thing.

--
~~~Politicians and diapers have one thing in common. They should both be
changed regularly and for the same reason.~~~