Old 18-09-2003, 03:02 AM
Tom La Bron

Default KHV & koi....

Folks,

Where is the research that says the Goldfish carry the virus. All research
that I have read said that it does not affect the goldfish in any way and
that they do not carry the disease. Sounds like someone is looking for an
escape goat. Nothing like blaming it on the goldfish. The research that I
read and the researcher I talked about said that the herpes virus will not
live outside the host.

Also muffin, if you are worried about the pond put off getting your new fish
until next spring, because even inside the fish the KHV will not live in
cold water. It dies when the temps go below 50.

I guess I will have to go to KOIVet and raise hell. Nothing like blaming
crap on the goldfish.

Tom L.L.
==========================
"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
The stores/breeders *do* disinfect with chlorine - *EVERYthing* that comes
in contact with the infected fish, including nets. Plants are suspect.
Goldies and other pond fish are suspect, and you can't disinfect because

of
them. Two alternatives come to mind: a) build another pond, koi only; or

b)
skip koi and do goldies only. The goldies are nicer for a watergarden

(they
don't tear up plants like koi do!). This disease is one of the primary
reasons why the new mantra is "quarantine - quarantine - quarantine".

Good luck, Muffin.

Lee
"*muffin*" wrote in message
the dealer, in Florida, had his stock checked at some university.. it

was
confirmed.( he got a bad shipment)
(I'm in Ohio)

I have been also told you need to disinfect everything with chlorine,,

which
is something I cannot do at this time.

I am soooo confused. thought of losing another $200 worth of fish does
please me.

I can segregate a few fish, but even that will not stop them dying when

FINALLY do put them in the pond, so that doesn't seem like that is
worthwhile to do.
guess DO it, & see what comes,,, then decide if keeping the goldfish is
worth it, of chuck every thing & start over..

"Lee Brouillet" wrote in message
Muffin, whether or not goldfish can be carriers is an "unknown" at

this
time. It's an accepted theory that without a host, the virus dies off

in
the
pond after several days. But you still had goldfish, so it's "iffy".

It's
also unproven as to whether or not the "heat cured" fish remain

carriers.
It's kinda like when you got chickenpox as a kid: you got over it -

but
you
are 70% more likely to develop shingles as an adult (same

stuff/different
place), and the older you get (70's, 80's, etc.), the likelihood

increases.
Your new fish may be OK, or they may get sick from the goldies if the
goldies are "shedding" the virus without getting sick themselves

(think
Typhoid Mary). In your position, I'd watch my "sacrificial" koi very
carefully and keep the "good" koi in isolation, away from any

potential
problem until I was reasonably sure that that all was well in the

pond.

Was KHV an official diagnosis? Where are you located?

Lee

"*muffin*" wrote in message
well, I lost several new purchased koi & the ones IN my pond to KHV

6
weeks
ago.
the shipper is replacing the fish,,(thankfully) but it is a PIA..

luckily
did NOT have a large assortment of ones in my pond already.

(ok do NOT yell at me,, for not quarantine...... new pond,, fish IN

the
pond
were mostly 10 cent goldfish)(all my goldfish were unaffected)

anyway..... 3 weeks ago I put in 2 'store' koi.. they seem to be

doing
happily.
but I read on koivet,, that goldfish can carry KHV........
so am I 'screwed'???? can I expect them to kick off? anyone else

have
any
problems?luck

(at least I read heat can 'probably' save them)