Old 18-09-2003, 09:15 AM
Drakanthus

Default Wine veevil drowning

Hi, I haven't been here for a while so forgive me if this has already
been talked about.. Does the group think that leaving potted plants in
immersed water for a day or two would drown vine veevil?

Annabel

No. I had a number of containers with annuals that had lots of vine weevils.
I threw away the plants but tried re-cycling the soil by drowning it
completely in water (to the consistency of thin mud) for over a week. It
didn't work - after drying out the mud there were weevils wriggling in it.
However, as someone else mentioned, throwing individual weevils into a pond
with fish is a satisfying way of disposing of them. The problem is finding
them all. No matter how carefully you look through the soil of an infected
plant it seems impossible to find them all. Perhaps there are still eggs
there or larvae which are too small to see. You can buy vine weevil killer -
but I find this expensive and often more cost effective just to throw the
plant away!

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)