Old 18-09-2003, 12:05 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Passion Fruit - When to pick

The message . 10
from Victoria Clare contains these words:
"Charlie Pridham" wrote in
:

(talking about grenadillos)

In case the original poster is still following this.
These "Granadilla" types often require a cross polinator (a second
unrelated plant, like certain apples) to produce fruit crops, but are
certainly a better bet eating wise than the bland insipid P.caerulea
fruits!

I've posted three items to this thread - only the first has appeared in
my downloads. This could have something to do with one of the big German
servers going down.

The second was a detailed reply to Nick Maclaren's post, following his
within a very short time, and later, a followup to see if he'd seen it.
I've had a little firkle, and nothing from this group has fallen into my
spamtrap.
_||_
I'll have to grow another post. Down there \ /
\/
I have a theory that P caerulea is a pretty variable plant. For example,
I've seen it described as having no scent, but both of mine have a gorgeous
scent which you can smell right across the patio, even if only a couple of
flowers are out. They are bog standard plants from a seed packet.

Oh. Could you save me some of your seeds please?

My guess is that the fruits may be similarly variable, as people seem to
report both nice and inedibly bland ones. Min haven't reached fruiting size
yet, though they flower well.

The 'granadilla' I have growing (in spades) has glossy leaves about the
size of a hand, (a bit like black bryony,) but heart-shaped with a
cuspidate point.

The seeds are shaped rather like shelled sunflower seeds, but black and
with a wartyness which is rather toadlike.

The fruit (from a supermarket, reduced to 10p) was almost spherical,
about the size of a Chinese pear, and coming to a very slight point
where its shape blends into the stalk.

The rind was rather like a fragile orange-coloured eggshell, with a
blush of magenta. The inside was reminiscent of frogspawn with elongated
cells, and the pulp was fragrant, sweet and tasty, and improved a fruit
salad no end - after removing the crunchy tadpoles.

I think I have some of these tadpoles saved somewhere if anyone wants any.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.