Old 18-09-2003, 12:22 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Sweet Potato

The message

cloudberries

I have never had them! Reports vary from the ambrosia of the
sub-arctic to something only marginally more edible than reindeer
moss. I want to try them sometime.

Refreshing. Usually rather small and dotted here and there, so
unrewarding, even in Scotland. I'm told that they are highly regarded in
Scandinavia.

There should be little trouble growing them in most of the UK
(they are native, after all), but they almost certainly need a
cool location. At a wild guess, they probably prefer a poorish
acid soil and plenty of water, but I really don't have any good
evidence for that.

I used to pick them on the higher areas of common grazing on the Isle of
Lewis. Blaeberries are best!

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.