Old 18-09-2003, 03:12 PM
alan kearn

Default Power saws and cuttoing back Leyllandi

(Nick Maclaren) wrote in message ...
In article ,
(alan kearn) writes:

| Has anyone used a electric (reciprocating) power saw with the saw
| blade that is about 10 inches long for cutting back leyllandi hedges,
| if so are they easy to use and do they do a good job. I am 70 years
| old and i am trying to avoid using a bow saw because of aching joints
| after using one. If they are any good, which one would you recommend.

Bluntly, you are being extremely foolish even to consider such a
solution. If you aren't up to using a bow saw, you aren't up to
using a power saw safely. I am a mere 55, though not in brilliant
physical shape, but I gave up my power hedge clippers some time
ago in favour of hand shears on the grounds that I couldn't handle
the former safely. And power saws are MUCH more dangerous.

On the other hand, at 70, it is your business to decide whether
you are going to do things that could easily kill you. But do not
delude yourself into thinking that is not the case.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Nick
i take your comments on board but i would like to say i am a
very active person who jogs (pretty fast i might add) two miles every
day and i am mentally alert.i wondered if you thought i meant a chain
saw if so, i would not touch one of those with a barge pole, the type
of saw i was trying to describe seems to be nothing more than a
glorified Jig Saw. You are probably correct in saying i am foolish.
The previous post says they are not very good for the job so it seems
not a very good idea

Alan