Old 18-09-2003, 04:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Power saws and cuttoing back Leyllandi

In article ,
Ron Clark writes:

| I use a hedge trimmer and it would be difficult to cut your leg
| accidentally by dropping the tool, It requires switching on with a
| slide and then the use of separate triggers for both hands, If it
| fell from your hands or even if it slipped out of one hand it powers
| off. Any reputable hedge trimmer should stop its reciprocating action
| immediately as an essential safety feature if it switches off..

From flat out to a dead stop in a quarter of a second? Oh, come
off it! All modern power tools have a dead man's switch safety
feature (most definitely including chainsaws), but people still
get injured when the tool slips out of their hands.

As I posted earlier, a hedge trimmer is unlikely to more than make
a mess of your leg, and one of the reasons is that it will stop
faster than a chainsaw (and in comparable time to a reciprocating
saw). But almost all of them still run for long enough to be going
when they impact your leg.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.