Old 18-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Climbers for my arch (part 2)

In article ,
"Pam Morris" writes:
| "Pam Moore" wrote in message
|
| How about the "potato vine", mauve or white? (solanum crispum) I got
| one in my local supermarket for £1.99 last week.
|
| This was an early possibility that I considered - can't remember now why I
| crossed it off!

It's worth a go, largely as it grows fast, but I still recommend
Campsis - they would go together, incidentally! DON'T get fooled
into buying Solanum jasminoides by somwhere that says it is hardy.

| Clematis cirrhosa balearica is evergreen, winter flowering and also
| scented.
| Clematis armandii is also evergreen, early flowering and scented, and
| vigorous; would clothe your arch fairly rapidly.
|
| Aren't clematis moody if you don't prune them just so and at the right time?

Some are; some aren't. C. armandii is, a bit, but the rules aren't
hard to follow. It is a bit of a nuisance to keep down to a small
space, and still get decent flowering, though.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.