Old 18-09-2003, 06:02 PM
Kay Easton

Default Power saws and cuttoing back Leyllandi

In article , Nick Maclaren
writes

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:

| But if I drop a cordless hedgetrimmer or do anything else silly with it,
| it's not going to cut out, is it? So is it going to be a dangerous thing
| for me to use?

It's going to cut out as soon as you release the switch, but it
will take a short while (depending on the trimmer) to actually
stop. Perhaps a second or two. No different from the corded
ones, really.

Ron Clark's approach is very reasonable. Because of the diameter
of your leg and the way that trimmers are guarded, a man's dangly
bits are really the only places below waist level that are badly
endangered.

So I should be OK then?

If it falls on your leg, you could well write off a
pair of trousers and need medical attention, but it is unlikely to
kill you or do more than leave a large scar.

Damn. Does that mean I should wear trousers to cut the hedge?

Unlike a chainsaw.

But DON'T try to catch a falling trimmer with your hands - and
that is a mistake that I came very close to making a couple of
times. The trouble is that I tend to catch falling things by
reflex, and my reflexes are fast enough to do it. Luckily, my
brain engaged in time and I pulled back ....

I dropped a knife while coring an apple the other day
Now have a scar on my finger to match the 7 in my abdomen :-(
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: