Old 18-09-2003, 09:04 PM
Jaques d'Altrades

Default Power saws and cuttoing back Leyllandi

The message

It's going to cut out as soon as you release the switch, but it
will take a short while (depending on the trimmer) to actually
stop. Perhaps a second or two. No different from the corded
ones, really.

Good ones - probably all models now - have a brake which stops the bar
if you drop it.

Ron Clark's approach is very reasonable. Because of the diameter
of your leg and the way that trimmers are guarded, a man's dangly
bits are really the only places below waist level that are badly
endangered. If it falls on your leg, you could well write off a
pair of trousers and need medical attention, but it is unlikely to
kill you or do more than leave a large scar. Unlike a chainsaw.

wince

It's unlikely to do even that to most parts of the body, even if it
doesn't stop. The blades are pretty well shielded against anything much
smaller than fingers and.......

wince

But DON'T try to catch a falling trimmer with your hands - and
that is a mistake that I came very close to making a couple of
times. The trouble is that I tend to catch falling things by
reflex, and my reflexes are fast enough to do it. Luckily, my
brain engaged in time and I pulled back ....

Very good point. If in doubt, wear industrial leather gloves.

--
Rusty Hinge
No m'lud, it wasn't a sneg. My joints creak.