Old 18-09-2003, 11:53 PM
simy1

Default Chestnut trees

(Justin) wrote in message om...
I have a chestnut tree that a coworker gave a couple of years ago that
is beginning to bear. She gave me two trees at first, but one died
apparently from drought or stress. I was unaware that there are
several different types of chestnut trees. How do I determine which
kind I have? Also, how do I go about caring for this tree and how do
you get the nuts? Do they fall like pecans or is there another method?

TIA for any and all assistance

Justin

It sure isn't an american chestnut. 99% probability it is of asiatic
descent.
The tree is very carefree and very drought resistant. To get the nuts,
let the
hull fall and soften, then step on it and drag your foot. The hull
will get sheared and you will get the nuts with minimum stinging. To
cook, make a cut across the chestnut and place in oven for 45 mins
until the cut opens. They should be easy to peel. Eat hot.