Old 19-09-2003, 05:26 AM
Cereoid-UR12-

Default white flowers on Delphinium

I was being sarcastic, Sweetpea.

The point was that anecdotal statements cannot be verified second-hand over
the internet. (Including yours.)

Sometime the plants you buy don't exactly match the labels. Especially in
garden centers where the customers "look at" labels by taking them out of
one pots and putting them back in another one. That has absolutely nothing
at all to do with plants having flowers "changing colors".

On the other hand, I have seen large plantings of hybrid Chrysanthemums have
a few individuals that were originally purple flowered produce yellow
flowered branches (some were was even a chimera of both colors in the same
flower) and variegation spontaneously appear in normally green leafed
plants.

Iris Cohen wrote in message
That is really an amazing anecdote but we cannot verify its

authenticity
from here.

Not amazing to me at all. Hybrid plants revert to something else all the

time.
I have a purportedly dwarf pink Monarda which reverted to the tall red

type. A
red butterfly weed which gradually became orange. It is unlikely that a

blue
Delphinium would become white, so I think it is more logical to suppose

that he
had two seedlings and one died.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40