Old 19-09-2003, 09:32 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Power saws and cuttoing back Leyllandi

In article ,
(alan kearn) writes:

| Maybe i should explain myself better i intended to cut this hedge
| back over a few days not in one go. When i said aching joints i meant
| aching arm and shoulder muscles that i would have to put up with over
| this period. Although the bottom half of my body gets plenty of
| exercise (maybe i should rephrase that)the arms and shoulders dont so
| this means aching muscles.One other thing i use a 4x4 ajustable
| platform that gives me a comfortable working height so i do take
| safety seriously. I am having a rethink and i will probably pay
| someone to cut it down for me.

That is what I would do in your position. Perhaps I should
explain MYSELF a bit further. I have a similar physique to you,
incidentally.

As a general rule, power tools do NOT enable you to do work with
less physical strain - they enable you to do more work, faster,
but often with MORE physical strain! There are exceptions, such
as four-wheel rotovators and electric drills, but it certainly
applies to hedge trimmers and chainsaws (and hence probably the
sort of thing you were talking about).

The reason is that they need holding much more firmly and often
vibrate badly; those two things interact to cause strain and
muscular exhaustion. As that happens, and it happens quite fast,
you either have to take a long rest or run the risk of dropping
the tool. That was my problem, but I know that it is a common
scenario.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.