Old 19-09-2003, 12:32 PM
John Bachman

Default Is my tree dying?

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:35:02 -0400, "Toonartist"
wrote:

Hi,

I transplanted a small (5 feet high) redbud the other day (4 days ago) and
have been watering it well.

There was some trouble extracting it from its former location (the dirt
around the rootball starting coming apart) and I now believe I damaged the
roots.

The leaves on the end of the branches are shriveling and some have dried up
completely.

Is this normal?

Well, you picked a poor time to move the tree. When it is dormant
would have been much better.

But, it is done. It is impossible to move a tree without damaging the
feeder roots - those are the tiny hairlike roots. They do all of the
work of collecting nutrients and water from the soil. The effect you
are seeing is a result of that damage.

Give the tree lots of water, keep the soil moist until the leaves are
gone. Do not add fertilizer or any soil nutrients.

In late spring/early winter before the buds begin to swell prune at
least 1/3 off.

When the buds swell, fertilize with a balanced fertiizer (10-10-10)
and make sure that it does not dry out.

Good luck.

John