Old 19-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Madgardener

Default the answer is maybe

alright, it's a possible maybe. These were your ordinary trash bags of a
gray color, some were the black variety. They had laid under the deck two
years and deteriorated enough that water and earthworms had worked their way
inside. I'm not talking commercial grade trash bags here
Dwight...........g I'm just saying yer average inexpensive garbage or
trash bag will over a year or two give up leaves and such to compost. This
isn't the first time I've had this happen to scrounged bags I didn't get to
and open up. It's almost always done this with exception to one or two bags
that indeed were still just dried leaves. But to go into MORE detail, I
dumped over 40 orange yard bags of leaves in a compost pile in my former
yard in Nashville one fall that rose to a height of six feet and three years
later, you could dig down to a foot and find perfectly pressed and untouched
leaves. Lack of air, despite the cold weather, rains and time didn't touch
that pile in the bottom because it was compacted.
madgardener
"Dwight Sipler" wrote in message
Madgardener wrote:

...If you scrounge 19 overstuffed bags of leaves two years ago and pile

them up
in an out of way space, will they compost over that period of time into
black humus? The answer is...

maybe. It takes water to support the composting process. If the bag of
leaves was dry, it will remain a bag of dry leaves for a very long time.