Old 19-09-2003, 07:32 PM
J X M

Default Off Topic x posted to abpo

= not exactly sure how u get on the "list" but likely someone got infected w/
= you in their address book or something. and no, this one at least doesn't
= seem to go the the newsgroups.

My understanding of this goes something like this. Most viruses search machines for email
addresses stored in it, so things like newsgroup messages, email messages stored locally.
It then emails itself to those addresses.

Some rather simple things to try and stop them, you could add some junk to your email
address you use to post to the newsgroup like , seems to
work, of course it is only a matter of time before some virus writer decides to write a
more intelligent piece of code that actually removes all sorts of junk like that.

Or you could use a fake address, of course that limits you getting replies to your email
address. So something like
would throw the virus off track (
we hope ).

At any rate, I got a few of these, and I had fun looking at their hex codes. Thankfully,
by running Linux, I get to look at these viruses and not worry about registry hacks and
all that. But now this has nothing to do with orchids anymore....

Oh well.

John McIntyre