Old 19-09-2003, 08:32 PM
Ryan

Default using sump water for lawn irrigation

you have to take into consideration the power of your sump pump. Usually
(from what I see in stores), they are around the 1/2 hp range. If you are
pumping out of a basement and into your yard (presumably at a higher
elevation), you will probably not have enough pressure at the outlet to
force the water out like a sprinkler. Running it into a reservoir (a bucket
or series of buckets may work) and using a second pump could be the
solution. A cheaper way would be to get the permeable hoses they sell in
lawn and garden sections of most stores. They are black (all I have seen)
and will allow water to seep out of the hose. You can run them through
flower beds or put them on a reel (for convenience) and drag them out into
the yard when you want them to be used (or leave them there all of the time,
if you don't mind seeing the hose snaking across your yard). Keep in mind
that these are "thrifty" solutions. Other, more attractive methods are
available if you want to spend a little money. I'm sure there are some
other cheap solutions out there too, these are the two that just happened to
fall onto the desk as I was reading your post.

Ryan