Old 19-09-2003, 11:28 PM
Marc Zimmerman

Default [IBC] Swen Worm

These emails are not from Microsoft. I checked at the Microsoft security
web site earlier and there is a LOT of email about this there. This
insidious spamming of viruses has been going on for some time at a very low
level. But, yesterday it really took off and generally sends a virus from
a number of official looking sources. I have been putting a block on each
one as it arrives. There are a large number of permutations of the same
phony, usually Microsoft-appearing "From:" addresses. The Evil Empire
(Microsoft) does not send email updates or warnings, so just delete
immediately and/or use your blocking software to stop additional bogus
emails from getting through. As we have been warned before, do not open or
save any attachments that come with these or any other emails that you are
not expecting, much less don't know the source.

Marc

Alan Walker wrote:
I've been getting a lot of spam from Microsoft today. This raised my

suspicions and
I checked at http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/ and found the following warning.

I haven't
sent this type of warning before, but I hope some of you will not fall

victim to
this latest worm, since it looks quasi-official by posing as being from

Microsoft.
====
Security Awareness Notes:
9/18/03
** Swen Worm (aka: Gibe) ** Beware of the latest Internet worm

masquerading as
a security patch sent by Microsoft which is spreading fast around the

world. Visit
CIAC's Bulletin N-153 New Worms and Helpful Computer Users for more

information.
===
Alan Walker, Lake Charles, LA, USA
http://LCBSBonsai.org http://bonsai-bci.com

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++