Old 20-09-2003, 03:15 AM
Don Falconer

Default Wintering my small pond(first year)

I live in Whitby. Approx 200 gal pond and about 28 in. deep except for plant
shelves. This will be my second winter. I set the plants (pickeral rush,
hyacinth) on the bottom. Left my two Koi in the pond. Set a pot on the
bottom on its side for additional shelter for them. I used an air tube with
open end set about 8 in. below the surface as a bubbler. It bubbled all
winter. Even when ice covered it bubbled up and out the edge of the pond.
The fish and plants all survived fine. Last winter was unusually cold and a
good test I think so I plan to do same this year.
Don
"Scrapster1" wrote in message
.. .
Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and it can get cold here in the winter, -20.
I have a small pond around 200 gal, 24 inches deep. I have some goldfish

and
plants (hardy lily, pickeral rush, hyacinth, water iris). At what
temperature should I begin to bring the fish in. As for the plants, which
will survive outdoors and which should I bring indoors. As for the pond
itself, how would I prepare it? Thanks.