Old 20-09-2003, 12:14 PM
Pam Moore

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:29:47 +0100, "J C-W"
wrote:

I have an Acer palmatum dissectum also in an earthenware pot (~10"), and for
the last couple of years, in Spring it buds well and then gets a lovely
coverage of leaves, then about end of April/May time, half the leaves curl
up and fall off. The tree then lasts the season OK, but only with half its
leaves.

I would guess that it gets too dry or too hot, or both. Does it stand
in sun? Does it EVER dry out a bit?
Acers need semi shade and the pot should certainly not get too much
sun on it; the roots will cook. I would put it in a bigger pot.
10ins is not very big.
Don't bother with the iron, just put it in a shady place and keep it
moist.
If it was vine weevil the tree would not survive winter, but be
vigilant. VW love acers. Use biological control or Provado as a
preventative.
I have several Bonsai acers and they dried out a bit while I was on
holiday and the friend watering did not do it every day. Some leaves
shrivelled but new growth appeared and I know they should be OK next
year.
Good luck

Pam in Bristol