Old 20-09-2003, 01:12 PM
J C-W

Default acer palmatum in strawberry planter?

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Sat, 20 Sep 2003 09:29:47 +0100, "J C-W"
wrote:

I have an Acer palmatum dissectum also in an earthenware pot (~10"), and

for
the last couple of years, in Spring it buds well and then gets a lovely
coverage of leaves, then about end of April/May time, half the leaves

curl
up and fall off. The tree then lasts the season OK, but only with half

its
leaves.

I would guess that it gets too dry or too hot, or both. Does it stand
in sun? Does it EVER dry out a bit?
Acers need semi shade and the pot should certainly not get too much
sun on it; the roots will cook. I would put it in a bigger pot.
10ins is not very big.
Don't bother with the iron, just put it in a shady place and keep it
moist.
If it was vine weevil the tree would not survive winter, but be
vigilant. VW love acers. Use biological control or Provado as a
preventative.
I have several Bonsai acers and they dried out a bit while I was on
holiday and the friend watering did not do it every day. Some leaves
shrivelled but new growth appeared and I know they should be OK next
year.
Good luck

Pam in Bristol

Pam, thanks for the advice. Having checked out the RHS site, they seem to
give similar advice for leaf scorching, which I guess is what it is. I
suppose it is just coincidence that the scorch occurred at the same time
both years, but I don't think it dried out when the leaf drop occurred. I
am also wondering if the roots could do with a trim, as they seem to be
protruding from the drainage hole - I understand the recommendation to
re-pot, but the nurseryman assured us that the tree would be quite happy in
its pot for a good five years or so. Anyway, I'll try a new location next
season and possibly look at re-potting.
Jason

---