Old 20-09-2003, 02:32 PM
Ian

Default Wintering my small pond(first year)

Your Hyacinth survived? I thought they were tropicals?

I'm out in Brampton, 750 gallons give or take, depth only 24". I dropped my
pickerel, hardy lilies, and a few others to the bottom of the pond for the
winter, all survived fine. The Cardinal plants were buried in the garden bed
and mulched, they never came back. All my hyacinth get mulched as I thought
they don't survive our winters.

I used one of the 100 watt de-icers, did the job last year.

"Don Falconer" wrote in message
ble.rogers.com...
I live in Whitby. Approx 200 gal pond and about 28 in. deep except for

plant
shelves. This will be my second winter. I set the plants (pickeral rush,
hyacinth) on the bottom. Left my two Koi in the pond. Set a pot on the
bottom on its side for additional shelter for them. I used an air tube

with
open end set about 8 in. below the surface as a bubbler. It bubbled all
winter. Even when ice covered it bubbled up and out the edge of the pond.
The fish and plants all survived fine. Last winter was unusually cold and

good test I think so I plan to do same this year.
Don
"Scrapster1" wrote in message
.. .
Hi, I live in Ontario, Canada and it can get cold here in the

winter, -20.
I have a small pond around 200 gal, 24 inches deep. I have some goldfish

and
plants (hardy lily, pickeral rush, hyacinth, water iris). At what
temperature should I begin to bring the fish in. As for the plants,

which
will survive outdoors and which should I bring indoors. As for the pond
itself, how would I prepare it? Thanks.