Old 20-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Rod Craddock

Default Wine veevil drowning

DaveDay34 wrote:
Hi All,

I had an idea a while ago, but have never tried it, so don't know if it would
work. Here it is. Tell me what you think.

There is at least one product on the market that'll kill off vine weevils, but
being systemic, it's not something you can water in to the soil round
fruit/vegetable crops. The other problem is that it's not suitable for some
plants, from what I can recall, so cannot be used on everything in the garden.
Thirdly, I suppose, it's very expensive, so would be prohibitively expensive
for most people to use on a whole garden.

Taking this all into account, I wondered if it would be possible to
'booby-trap' the garden with the occasional plant that had been treated. This
wouldn't protect any plants in the garden from grubs/larvae, but any adults
wandering around snacking on the 'booby-trap' plants wouldn't last long enough
to lay their eggs. In theory, it should be possible to dot around the odd
treated plant amongst the untreated ones, and at least have some success in
killing off the weevils as they roam around snacking on your prize plants.

Not sure as I've explained the concept very well, but I wonder what anyone
thinks. As far as I'm aware, the little blighters roam and snack over a wide
area, so wouldn't spend their whole lives on a single (untreated) plant, so
there's a good chance of knocking off the majority of adult weevils.

Dave.

That's a very efficient way of breeding a resistant population of the
little blighters.

Rod