Old 20-09-2003, 06:22 PM
David J Bockman

Default Chestnut trees

Congratulations on owning an extreme rarity. American Chestnuts still
survive here and there, in extremely scant numbers. Many survive from
original trees, but when the shoots reach maturity, the blight strikes them
down, only to regrow again from the original stump for another 15-20 years.

http://www.utc.edu/Faculty/Hill-Crad...tnutlinks.html

"llama mama" wrote in message
. ..
Borderline Neurotic wrote in
:

Justin wrote:

I was unaware that there are
several different types of chestnut trees. How do I determine which
kind I have?

If it has nuts it's a male tree. No nuts equals female.

huh? i have an American chestnut. AFAIK, there are no other surviving
American chestnuts anywhere around, certainly none of blooming size.
however, my chestnut produces nuts. this year looks to be a *huge* crop
of nuts, in fact. it appears my chestnut has both male & female flowers,
as there are two different looking 'flowers' on it every year, & as i
said, it produces nuts.
i have 2 black walnuts heavily producing nuts & i'm getting a rather
decent crop from my poor blighted butternut (anything one can do for
butternut blight? i admit there are other butternuts in the sugarbush, so
it may be cross pollinated). OTOH, i have a Carpathian walnut that
doesn't do anything but attract bag worms & borers. i suspect it needs a
walnut of the opposite gender nearby to do anything. no big deal. it's a
nice looking tree, except in the fall with the bag worms... and even
then, it looks very cool for Halloween g.
lee