Old 20-09-2003, 11:42 PM
ponder

Default Pond/Waterfall Questions

Ok, so how cold does it get ? Here It will freeze 1 foot deep, yes I am in
Canada but not that far across the border.
Waterfalls will freeze and it looks great with the water running over some
ice, but it will back flow the water and empty the pond. You also don't want
to run the waterfalls because your fish need a constant temp were they are
in the bottom and the running of the falls can constantly keep the temp
changing with the movement. mixing colder water into were they are used to
the temp they are at.

John Burton wrote in message
"Turn off pumps, waterfalls and fountains for the winter"??

As a new guy I'm confused here, since I thought we kept the waterfalls

going
to provide oxygen for fishies in the winter.

If I *should* be turning off the waterfall, when does "winter" arrive?

When
the water crosses the 55 degree line???

Newguy lookin' for help...

Thanks!

--==jb==--

--
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=

john burton
Bach 50B3
Bass Trombone, Charleston NeoPhonic Orchestra
South Charleston, West Virginia

"K30a" wrote in message
You don't have to worry about cold
water going all yukky on you.

With fish most of us turn off pumps,
waterfalls and fountains for the winter.

Try these websites for pond information
http://www.pondrushes.net/
and
http://www.geocities.com/bickal2000/pond.htm