Old 21-09-2003, 12:21 AM
ned

Default Jumpy things in soil

Alison wrote:
Does anyone know what the little blackish/dark greyish insects are
that sometimes live in soil (usually around sickly plants)? They
jump about a bit if disturbed (they're not fleas). I've always
thought they were springtails but I now realise these are white. Do
the little jumpy things cause damage? If they do, how do I get rid

of
them and prevent them from arriving in the first place?

I think there is a theory that (in general) it is the slow creepy
crawlies that do the plant damage and the fast creepy crawlies that
are the predators on the slow creepy crawlies

..... "They jump about a bit if disturbed."
I suppose they might be nervous slow creepy crawlies. ;-)

They could be adult froghoppers whose larvae produce that familiar
frothy 'cuckoo spit' to protect themselves while they suck the plant
sap. Do a Google Images search on froghoppers and see if they look
similar.

--
ned