Old 21-09-2003, 12:43 AM
Simon Avery

Default Wintering

(Lily55320) wrote:

Hello Lily55320

L My small garden pond is new this year. I have a few
L inexpensive goldfish, lots of Water Hyacinth, and a Water
L Lily. Would building a coldframe to cover it be enough to
L prevent significant loss? Or will it be neceessary to move
L plants and fish inside for the winter? Thanks much.

I don't think the hyacinth will make it, they're tropical. Mine died
even when brought into the house last year. (I think I'm thinking of
the right ones, globular floaters?)

Lilies Ok provided the basket is below the ice - drop it down to the
lowest if it's not already come the start of winter, same for the fish
- as long as you can keep an airhole open.

--
Simon Avery, Dartmoor, UK Ý
http://www.digdilem.org/