Old 21-09-2003, 04:32 AM
Bob H

Default First time ponder, any thoughts for this design?

I don't actually have a U.V. yet, I hope to get one next spring, the info.
that I have received makes them priceless for fighting algae....the U.V.
question has some info in it as well, you might want to look at it if you
haven't already.

"Josh" wrote in message
om...
Bob,

I have read alot about different filters, and as far as I can tell UV
defeats the point of a bio filter by killing the basteria which are
essential to the bio filter - what is your postition on that?

I am in the same thought process for my pump, and thought just that -
if it is to small I can run a second line up there and just have it
push out water, something tiny could do at that point, run a small pvc
beside the falls and albow it behind a rock to spurt out at the second
falls or something. Yes I had already bought the pump, I got it used
for $50 -- like I have heard so many times to build as big as I can
my original plan was going to give me something about 6x11 so I
started looking for a liner - when my 19x20 came along i decided to
cut it to 15x20 and leave me 4x20 for my falls

"Bob H" wrote in message

Looks like a valid plan, I would echo what others have said, I am

concerned
your pump *might* bit a bit small for your waterway, it also sounds like

you
have bought the pump....actually this may be a good way to go, use the

pump
you have, see what it looks like, if it is not enough flow, buy another,
bypass the filter with it so it just pumps into the head of the

waterfall,
put it on a timer so it runs when you are there to see it and shuts off

when
your not, you save power & the other pump is still providing
filtration/aeration. strongly consider a u.v. light in addition to the
filter, algae (green water) can be a problem. The other thing I would
suggest is to run plenty of GFCI power as near to where your pump is

going
to be as allowed by code (get permits!) cause I have already used up 3

of
your available plugs with my suggestions :-). Since $$$$ is an issue

you
may be able to do these things in phases, power, u.v & 2nd pump if

needed.
Good luck