Old 21-09-2003, 11:04 AM
Jim W

Default AEONIUM - safe outside in our climate?

Cynthia Snowden wrote:

On a recent holiday in The Scillies I purchased a 'black' Aeonium from a
garden stall - there was no-one around to ask advice. The Aeonium seems to
be a popular garden plant in the Scillies and I am hoping that it will
thrive here in North Devon. Is it OK for me to plant it in the garden or
should I keep it in the porch for the winter before risking putting it
outside?

I understand that one can propagate them by literally cutting off the
rosette with a couple of inches of stem and planting this cutting.
Meanwhile the original plant will develop a couple of new rosettes. At the
moment my plant just has the one rosette. Would it be advisable to 'cut off
its head' at this early stage?

Take cuttings,.. in a sheltered spot in N Devon you may well get away
with it.. Will need to be away from DAMP in winter though to prevent
rotting.

Keep some cuttings as reserves and try some outside..
//
Jim