Old 21-09-2003, 02:02 PM
Chookie

Default New Vegie Garden advice required

In article ,
"Kane" wrote:

Hi Tony it's best not to use any treated wood with food that you eat because
of those chemicals, I'd use old railway sleepers for a raise bed.

I wouldn't. The ballast (rocks under the sleepers) is treated with arsenic to
kill weeds.

I just heaped up the soil on my garden beds, and used scrap metal strips and
brick as eding. They aren't hugely raised, but they're above the clay anyway.
I have put in a border of lemongrass to keep the kikuyu at bay.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

"...children should continue to be breastfed... for up to two years of age
or beyond." -- Innocenti Declaration, Florence, 1 August 1990