Old 21-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Chris Owens

Default Is my tree dying?

Toonartist wrote:

Hi,

I transplanted a small (5 feet high) redbud the other day (4 days ago) and
have been watering it well.

There was some trouble extracting it from its former location (the dirt
around the rootball starting coming apart) and I now believe I damaged the
roots.

The leaves on the end of the branches are shriveling and some have dried up
completely.

Is this normal?

To me it's an indication that the tree is not taking up water.

Either way I guess I'll just have to wait until next spring and see if it's
alive but just wondering if there is anything that can be done now that
could help it.

Should I try fertilizing it?

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. Btw, I live in Zone 5b.

-Kevin

Absolutely do NOT fertilize! Whilst this is an extreme reaction
of transplant shock; the tree may still be quite all right. Keep
watering, and give it some time. [This, BTW, is one of the
reasons that it's generally better to move stuff when it's
dormant.]

Chris Owens