Old 21-09-2003, 04:22 PM
Jim W

Default Passion Fruit - When to pick

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
Jaques d'Altrades wrote:

I have some granadillo vines grown from seed. Closely related to
passionfruit - anyone know if they are hardy enough to grow outside?

That's easy - no. Outside the warmest parts of the UK, P. caerulea
is pretty well the only hardy one (and even then it tends to be
herbaceous). According the the books I have seen, none of the ones
grown for their fruit are likely to be hardy even in the warmest
parts of the UK. But a lot of the genus will do well in pots
outside in summer, if given some protection in winter - and that
doesn't necessarily mean more than being kept dryish and frost-free.

Which species is a granadillo?

According to Van der Planck 'Passionflowers'
P. edulis is known as Granadilla or Purple Passionfruit
P. quadrangularis is known as the Giant Granadilla
P.ligularis is known as the Sweet Granadilla

A couple of others Water Lemon . (laurifolia)
&
Banana Passionfruit (mollisima) are also edible as are all the
granidillas which are used in various parts of the world for fruit
production.
None of the above are hardy in the UK.. The Nat Collection of
passiflora keeps theirs in heated polytunnels.. Well worht a visit if
you are keen and around the Somerset area. Last time I went there they
also had a fruiting Monstera!-) Fascinating..

Passiflora are pretty fickle beasts and there is a large amount of
variation even within specific species. Thus for good flowering and
fruit production its a far safer bet to get a plant cloned (eg a
cutting) from an existing plant known to have good characteristics..

Jo, I'd be interested in a cutting of your plant if you have the time..

//
Jim