Old 21-09-2003, 06:02 PM
David @chapelllhouse.demon.co.uk

Default another leylandii question

In article , Mike
writes
I am one of the long suffering neighbours.

My neighbour planted eight leylandii a few years ago along the border of our
properties. To be fair they keep it trimmed to about 6 feet and I trim my
side to match theirs etc.

The nearest leylandii is only about 3 feet away from the house and I foresee
future structural problems with the house. Some of the others have extending
trunks that branch horizontally just below the soil about three feet into MY
garden.

How do you imagine roots just below the surface are going to cause
structural damage? are your foundations just below the surface?

I cannot grow anything my side of the hedge as its permanently in the shade
and the leylandii soaks up the water.

I suppose I should be grateful that they are not 30 feet tall and I feel
like telling people who purchase Leylandii at the sheds to consider their
neighbours and if they like it so much to plant it in the middle of their
own gardens.

In my opinion Leylandii are nothing to look at and I suppose people buy them
as a cheap option.

No its the fast growth that attracts them, they're not particularly
cheap as "hedging" plants go and FWIW I like the effect especially in
winter when everything else is brown.
--
David