Old 21-09-2003, 09:22 PM
John Bachman

Default stawberries didn't produce

Mogie wrote in message
Planted some strawberry starts in a window box. The plants took off great

we
had a few strawberries initally but then they just stopped. That was about
two months ago in late July. I kept them water well everyday and they have
good soil they are planted in. Could they just be establishing themselves
and we get the fruit next year?

I do not know about the window box thing, should work if there is good
soil in it I expect. After all, the strawberries don't know that they
are in a window box as long as there is ample space for the roots.

However, the usual recommendation for a new strawberry patch is
prevent a crop the first year by pinching off the blossoms. That way
the plant and roots develop before fruiting the following year.
Perhaps you expected too much for a first year planting?

If so, I would recommend that you pinch the blossoms off next year.
Then you should get a good crop the following year.

JMHO

John