Old 21-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Franz Heymann

Default garden tools & builders rubble

"Sad Sid" . wrote in message
"DLee" wrote in message
Hi All

I have lost 2 garden tools this weekends snip If it is poor quality

tools, which makes reliable toos which last years?

I bought myself a set of stainless Spear & Jackson tools as a retirement
perk.
The fork snapped off at the joint with the shaft - it's just a stainless
sheath over a mild steel stub.
The spade is a right pain to use after the rivet holding the handle

dropped
out. I was left with a jagged stub which irritates my palm.
My "stainless" edging tool is pockmarked with specks of rust.
The anvil sheared off my expensive Wilkinson geared loppers.....

The best tool I've got? A long-handled traditional spade bought

second-hand
at the Royal Welsh Show. It must be decades old, but is clearly going to
outlast all this modern tat.

A sound rule is to buy only the cheapest hand tools you can find and throw
them away when they break. They are in any case likely to last as long as a
fashionable stainless steel tool.

I have a friend who (thirty years ago or so) had the policy of never buying
any car which cost him more than eighty pounds. When his car needed
servicing, he used to trade it in for another one in which the transaction
cost him eighty pounds or less.

Franz